Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Freedom from cancer

In theory, I am free of the beast. I haven't gotten the final pathology report on what all was removed during surgery, but based on what the intern said, things look really good. That handy-dandy lymph node that sent up the red flag was shrunken and shriveled and not really an organ of sorts anymore. Other lymph nodes were removed--from both sides--and I'll get the final tally on those later. My chest is now reformed and healing, and the confidence that it brings is amazing. In terms of the adenocarcinoma that I have been fighting, I am now free of the tissue that would otherwise harbor another little tumor that could go undetected. It is of great relief. Whatever else happens from here, I know that I have gone after this with what it would take to give me peace of mind.

On a side note--what they say about hospitals is all true: it is not the place to get rest. It's not so much that every 2 hours they come in to poke and prod, but for the nurse(s), it's their work day, so they are full of conversation. I was just trying to be polite, but in doing so, Linda and I had conversations at 12:30am, 2am, 4am, and at 6am. Then the nursing-world went quiet until almost 9am. I was out of the place by 10:30--so overall, we're talking 14.5 hours total. Not bad. Of course I barely remember a third of it. It's really odd to remember what was going on right before I went out. I was in pre-op, and had just been given a sedative. For the last procedure I had, the sedative didn't knock me out--it only made me loopy. Last I remember on Monday, I was having a conversation with Dr. Rominelli (or something like that), the anesthesiologist. After that, I got nothing until recovery--and after 2 hours in recovery at that. I guess it's best to not recall all things around a surgical procedure, but the control part of me hates that I lost that time with no input. But it's worth it to feel a sense of freedom...

3 comments:

Erin said...

You're amazing. You "sound" really good. Take care of yourself and rest up!

Amanda, Ian, Addison, Aiden, and Isaiah said...

So glad to hear your spirits are high! Take care!

Shannon said...

Glad you're doing well! Hugs!